mike

U.S. Secretary of State supports Trump decision to cancel peace talks

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Sunday supports
President Donald Trump decision to cancel peace talks with Taliban
leaders at his presidential retreat because of the terrorist group’s
on-going attacks in Afghanistan.


“We need to see them capable of delivering on their promises” to
end violence in the war-torn country before they are “rewarded”
with a meeting with Trump, Pompeo told CNN.


According to the Pompeo, Trump’s planned Sunday meetings at his
Camp David retreat outside Washington with the Taliban and
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani. He had separate talks with each
other, were set in the belief that they “could further America’s
national interest” to end the 18-year U.S. involvement in
Afghanistan.


U.S. chief negotiator Zalmay Khalilzad also has been told to return
home after Trump’s announcement. Zalmay had drawn up a draft
framework agreement that, if approved by President Trump, would
allow 5,000 American troops to leave five military bases in the
country within 135 days.


Trump decision came after a car bomb blast in Kabul last week that
killed 12 people, including a U.S. soldier.

SHARE ON

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Categories