Gen. scott miller

KABUL, Afghanistan (September 2, 2018) -- U.S. Army Gen. Scott Miller, Resolute Support Mission commander, delivers remarks during the Resolute Support mission change of command ceremony in Kabul, Afghanistan, September 2, 2018. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Sharida Jackson)

Miller denies reports of changes in US forces operations in Afghanistan

The US and NATO Forces Commander for Afghanistan, Gen. Scott Miller on Tuesday rejected reports that said the US was limiting force operations in Afghanistan and cleared that they have not received any orders and have no plans of any changes as of now.

In a report by Newsweek that also quoted Senior Pentagon officials, said that the US personnel have received orders to cut downforce operations including nearly entire offensive combat operations against Taliban, reducing US troops in Afghanistan to almost half which would come to 6000 as a path for peace negotiations.

Reacting to which Gen.Millercalled the article “inaccurate and speculative.”

He said, “ The characterizations of changes to our authorities and operations have no basis in fact. We have no orders as such and no changes have been made so far.”

This comes amidst US and Taliban peace talks, the eighth round of which recently ended in Doha. Both sides are apparently advancing towards an agreement and are expected to sign one over the next few days which will set the base for US force withdrawal and hopefully an end to violence in Afghanistan.

1 thought on “Miller denies reports of changes in US forces operations in Afghanistan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Categories